There are a plethora of GCSE equivalent qualifications for maths and English that people take in order to gain entry into University and increase the chances of getting employed. The most relevant GCSE equivalent qualification depends on which course you are planning to do or doing. The following guidelines should help you to determine which qualification is best for you. 


These are most commonly taken by prospective trainee teachers wanting to get access onto a training course. They are accepted for nursing and midwifery courses as well as other course routes. A Star Equivalency is the leading provider of these exams and also offers edited revision material to help you get through your exam. The following are the subjects offered for the GCSE equivalency tests: 


Maths equivalency test

English equivalency test

Combined science equivalency test 

Biology equivalency test 


For those looking to gain entry into University courses, or enhance their employment prospects, functional skills level 2 qualifications are usually the most relevant GCSE equivalent. Since the pandemic it is now possible to sit Ofqual regulated exams online at home. The following enable you to revise and book functional skills. 



Other GCSE equivalents include: 

BTECs (Business and Technology Education Council)

BTEC level 1-2 is a GCSE equivalent that learners can take at college, with a focus on vocational subjects targeted at specific job sectors and industries with no GCSE equivalents in maths and English. 


Cambridge Nationals

Cambridge Nationals are comparable to BTEC’s in that their focus is also on vocational subjects.They aim to improve employment opportunities in the relevant job sector.There is no provision for maths and English. 


NVQs (National Vocational Qualification)

An NVQ2 is a GCSE equivalent but again is a vocational qualification. They are valued by employers in the specific sectors they are relevant to. They can’t replace a GCSE or functional skills in maths and English and therefore they are supplementary qualifications and you will still require level 2’s.